Frequently Asked Questions
It is a social intervention project developed to help improve the lives of people by correcting poor sanitation practices and develop solid waste collection service delivery in Ghana by providing 1 million waste-bins in 240L, 120L and 60L sizes to households in Ghana.
This initiative is supported by intense public education and enforcement of sanitation by-laws to minimize littering of the environment and develop attitudinal change.
All the waste-bins being distributed have Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags to enable proper data management, enhance service monitoring and improve revenue collection.
- Corporate Institutions
- Commercial Entities
- Health Facilities
- Educational Institutions
- Religious Institutions
- All Ghanaians residing in MMDAs who have signed onto the 1MB Project or areas that are being serviced by waste collection service providers who have signed onto the project.
- You can find out the status of your Assembly or service provider by contacting them.
- To sign on, one has to register as a client with his/her MMDA or Service Provider through any of the approved channels;
- 1MB Project Website (www.onemillionbinproject.com)
- Dial Shortcode/USSD code *857#
- Call 0302739014
- WhatsApp us on 0503942832
- Any of the listed MMDAs/service providers
- You will be required to provide the following information:
- Contact Number
- House Number/Digital Address
- You will be required to pay the approved registration fees set by the Assembly/Service Provider upon receipt of your waste-bin.
- Your designated waste collection service provider will then schedule your waste bin for regular collection/emptying.
All waste management companies (ESPA) working in MMDAs who have signed on to the 1MB Project.
Service providers (ESPA members) with franchised contract areas who have signed onto the project.
The distributed waste-bins will be serviced on an agreed day(s) of the week on which you will be required to bring out your waste-bin(s) on the said day;
The services will be monitored in real time to ensure consistent service delivery
One will be provided with information through SMS on the status of services, invoices and payments
Payment for services can be done through mobile money payments or the approved methods listed below.
One can pay for the services through the following means;
- Shortcode/ USSD code *857# (Mobile Money Payment)
- Zoomlion App (Download from Play Store and App Store)
- Door-to-door revenue collection agents
- Drastic reduction in littering and indiscriminate disposal of waste
- The successful implementation of this project will serve as a platform for source separation to achieve the 4R (Recovery, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle).
- Easy access to complaint mechanism
- Quick response to complaint
- Regular and efficient (professional) waste collection and management; improved service quality
- Ability to monitor the efficiency of waste management companies operating within a specific Assembly through the use of the technology backing the project; the Integrated Waste Management Information System (IWMIS).
- Easy and convenient means of payment; efficient digital revenue collection and management system
- Creation of jobs
Yes, the waste-bin is free. *
*Terms and Conditions
You however have to pay a one-time approved registration fee and pay a fix waste-collection monthly charge for the collection services rendered.
It is a nationwide project.